As the end of the year approaches, we find that Tax Loss Harvesting may be beneficial for tax obligation purposes.
Here are a few Tax Harvesting items we are completing at this time:
- Just as a reminder, never let the tax tail wag the dog as this can result in a less than adequately allocated investment portfolio, possibly leaving investments far worse off than the tax benefits achieved.
- Review realized Gains and Losses for possible tax exposure and compare this to your tax loss carryover from the prior years, if any.
- Access unrealized Gains and Losses and look for possible offsetting transactions.
- Consider replacing a losing investment to offset gains, but again review your pre and post transaction allocations for appropriate diversification.
- Watch out for the Wash Sale, which is the sale and repurchase of the same or similar security within a 30 day period of time, as the IRS does not like this type of transaction, and may disallow it depending on your situation. (See IRS Publication 550 for greater detail.)
No tax talk would be complete without the disclaimer, so here we go: Each situation is different, please consult your tax advisor for your specific situation. This is not a recommendation to buy or sell a specific security.
We hope this helps keep Uncle Sam from digging deeper into your pocket in the spring of 2012!
Have a Great Day!
PS Cathy is out sick today, your patience is greatly appreciated.