Tag Archives: Form 4868

Super Busy … Procrastinators …. Here is your Tax Savior … The Automatic Extension

Life gets in the way, it’s a busy time of the year .. heck, life is busy!

No matter how busy we are, the IRS wants some sort of response.

The Automatic ExtensionUncle Sam

Here’s how to file your automatic extension for several different types of returns.

While we give you the link and the information to file an automatic extension … it’s pretty easy, be sure to make a rough estimate of your taxes – and if you owe pay an estimate with your extension. The penalties for under paying your taxes are pretty big and grow exponentially the longer you wait.

Assuming you just ran out of time or are missing a document, here are your links to the various automatic extension violence.

  • Form 4868 – This for automatic extension of your Personal Tax Return aka 1040
  • Form 7004 – This for automatic extension of your Trust Return – 1041 among others

By filing this extension you get until October 15, 2018 to file – but don’t wait till then let’s get this done sooner rather than later!

Have a Happy “Soon to be Filed” tax return day!

John A. Kvale CFA, CFP

Founder of J.K. Financial, Inc.
A Dallas Texas based fee only
Financial Planning Total Wealth
Management firm.

How to file an automatic personal 1040 Tax Extension … 40 Million returns yet to be filed

The IRS estimates that over 40 million tax filings are yet to be filed, which are due tomorrow.

You are not alone if April 18, 2017 was not enough time to file your taxes!

How to file an automatic Extension

In order to file and receive your automatically accepted 1040 Personal income tax extension, use Form 4868. Here is the IRS website with complete instructions.

Your new extended deadline for this year will now be October 16, 2017 for your personal 1040 returns. Other entity tax return extensions may have different deadlines.

Be sure to note the different addresses for filing, depending on your State of residence and with or without payment.

If you might owe, make an estimate NOW!Uncle Sam

If you owe taxes or think you may owe taxes, send in an estimate with your Form 4868 filing as interest penalties compound and accelerate after tomorrows deadline.

From the IRS:

The late payment penalty is usually ½ of 1% of any tax (other than estimated tax) not paid by April 18, 2017. It is charged for each month or part of a month the tax is unpaid. The maximum penalty is 25%.

Calculate your amount owed and be sure to send it with your extension request.

Our favorite Tax Estimate Calculator

Here is our favorite easy, high level tax calculator, just in case you are not sure on your possible liability. Five minutes of data entry will most likely get you close, Round up and mail that check in with Form 4868 to insure that you will not have penalties and interest accruing.

There are certainly other calculators, but if you are in a hurry and have not entered any information elsewhere, the Dinkytown estimator above may be just the ticket.

Don’t let October get here too fast…another extension is not this easy!

Have a Great “Pre-Tax Day” day!

John A. Kvale CFA, CFP

Founder of J.K. Financial, Inc.
A Dallas Texas based fee only
Financial Planning Total Wealth
Management firm.


Extension Form for Taxes … Form 4868

Life got in the way.

Even with the best intentions, there just was not enough time.

We know, you made a promise last year, this year would be different……

No worry!

Form 4868

Use this form to get an automatic extension for your personal income taxes.

Here is a great IRS website with more details.

If you think you may owe, be sure to send your estimated amount in with the extension.

Here is a website (dinkytown 1040) to get your tax estimate in less than five minutes…its raw and macro, but it can get you to where you need, quickly !

Have a great Day!

John A. Kvale CFA, CFP

Founder of J.K. Financial, Inc.
A Dallas Texas based fee only
Financial Planning Total Wealth
Management firm.




How to file an Extension … Form 4868 … Automatic Extension

So you tried as hard as you could, but you could not get your taxes done. Not to worry… They are due today, but there are options !

How to file an Extension

Form 4868 found here on the IRS website will allow you an AUTOMATIC extension filing.

  • File this form if you cannot finish your return…not kidding, do not ignore the IRS, filing an extension if much better than going radio silent
  • If you think you owe, make an estimate and send the funds, if you do owe you may be subject to penalties
  • Your new deadline is October 15, 20215 … but don’t wait until the last minute…filing another extension is much harder

Thought you might get a kick out this … May feel like it!




Have a Happy Tax Day!

John A. Kvale CFA, CFP

8222 Douglas Ave # 590
Dallas, TX 75225


How to File an Extension

If you are like many this year, tax season came very quickly. The year is going very quickly for that matter, but tax season has a few deadlines. If you are not ready to file your taxes, no worry, we have you covered.

Time to File an Extension

Form 4868 automatically extends your filing deadline to October 15, a full six months. Here is the link to the form. It is easy, automatic and gives you ample time, hopefully to get the tax document ducks in a row.Extension

But what’s the catch?

There always has to be a catch, sorry. If you owe additional taxes, try to make a very good estimate and maybe even cushion it a little bit. If you file an extension and owe additional taxes, there will be tax penalty blood!

Bottom line, make sure you pay enough in to cover your liability, if applicable. By the way, don’t wait until October to get your extended returns in, get them off your plate as soon as possible, it will make you feel better !

Saying goodbye to this tax season is  VERY welcome, it was a toughie that we will be reviewing later on, based on government reports. Our bet, we broke an all time record for tax revenues !

Have a great day!

John A. Kvale CFA, CFP

8222 Douglas Ave # 590
Dallas, TX 75225 


Tax Form 4868 ….If you are behind on your tax return, an automatic extension may be the way to go

For those that have found they may be behind in their tax filings, next Monday the 15th is regular personal filing deadline, Form 4868 may be your friend.Form 4868 2012

Form 4868 gives tax filers an extension to October 15th…..a full six month reprieve.

Items to remember when you file Form 4868

  • Filing form 4868 is automatic and will not be declined by the IRS
  • If you owe taxes, penalties may accrue
  • Filing a payment with your extension is a good idea if you think you may owe additional taxes
  • Just because your extension is six months does not mean you HAVE to wait until October (keeping your feet moving on your taxes may help you from having another last minute decision)

Have a great day!

John Kvale

8222 Douglas Ave # 590
Dallas, TX 75225

Not Finished with Your Taxes? Meet IRS Form 4868, Automatic Six Month Extension

It’s ok, and there is nothing to be ashamed of if you didn’t finish your taxes!

Tuesday, April 17th, 2012 is the official deadline for regular tax filing. If you have not completed your taxes for whatever reason, meet IRS Form 4868.

By simply downloading this form and filing in the one small area, you will be granted an automatic six month extension, no questions asked. Do remember that if you owe taxes and you do not send in enough funds to cover your shortfall, you may be subject to penalties.

This tax season has been the toughest for us in the last 10 years. The new tax basis rules and adjustments have made for a confusing season, and we are not even CPA’s!

So if you ended up running out of time, be sure to send in Form 4868 along with any possible shortage in taxes you may owe. Now if we are up against the wall again in six months, then we have an issue, but that is a full six months away. Just because we have six extra months, does not mean we have to use all six months.

Happy Tax Filing Eve Day, and start to another great week!




When to file your 2010 Federal Tax Return? Delivery Dates and Deadlines

This year (2010 Tax Filing Year) according to the IRS, the official deadline for 2010 non-extension federal income tax filing is April 18th 2011, due to the Emancipation Holiday, which falls on the 15th of April, 2011.

Early Filers Watch out:

In a slightly unusual twist this year, due to tax law changes near the end of the year, the IRS is not allowing filers who itemize to file earlier than Mid to Late February, again, according to the IRS.

For investors, we do not recommend filing earlier than mid to late March 2011, for your 2010 Federal Income Tax Year. It is fine to have your taxes completed before this time, just hold off on filing. While we know this may seem a stretch for many, especially when a refund is due, the complication of tax reporting and investment reconciliation has risen in recent years.  By waiting a bit longer into the season, amended returns may be avoided.

It is not unusual for investment firms to issue corrected 1099’s (Tax reporting statements and reconciliations) very late into the tax season, sometimes as late as April.  It is generally much easier to adjust returns before filing, rather than amending a return if a corrected investment statement is issued.

Filing an Extension is ok !

If you find you are unable to meet the April 18th deadline, do not be afraid to file an extension. Extension needs happen, and are not unusual, Form 4868, generally allows for a six month extension of time to file.

File something by April 18, 2011!

The IRS needs to know your intentions, not filing something by the deadline is a no, no!

Please file something.

Lastly, tax reporting documents:

Many investment related forms now arrive on our around February 15th (we send investors cost basis tax reconciliation sheets during this time as well), do not worry if you do not receive many of your investment related tax worksheets until Mid February.

Please consult your tax advisor for specific rules that may affect you, we are not a CPA firm, and as such, the recommendations above are general in nature and your individual situation may differ.

Have a Great Day!