Although slightly less invasive than having your identity stolen, losing control of your email can be dangerous and should not be taken lightly.
Break In– Recently we helped a relative discover a nasty email hack on an IPhone… It was called “Prayer of the Day!” and downloaded a bogus and controlling email on the IPhone .. as far as we could tell, no damage was done, however the hack was the best and most controlling we had seen… Bottom Line… BE CAREFUL when you click on unknown links…even if they may seem harmless!
First, just as in the identity loss, breathe … this likely will not be the last time such an event occurs, and if you are lucky, it is the first….
Here are the steps:
- Change your password- fast- make it complex, preferably with symbols as there are only 26 English letters, nothing to a savvy hacker!
- Other Password used sites- If this was your favorite password…the secret is out, time to change it on all of your other sites you use it !
- Recapture your email – Contact your provider or follow the steps to regaining control of your email if you have lost it (Many times you may still have control, if so you may ignore this step)
- Sent box review – Look in your sent box to see if any sent emails are found – See next step
- Notify your contacts- It is a good idea to let those that may have received a bogus email from you that you have been hacked – Not to worry, they will understand… heck they may be on the other end of the hacking eventually anyway!
- Run your Virus Scan – There may still be something in your system, it is a good idea to run a complete scan of your computer after you have updated the above information — it is possible you will find nothing…safe over sorry !
- Watch Out – Be careful when clicking on ANYTHING unfamiliar
- Help thy neighbor- If you see something fishy from a friend or contact, let them know immediately…this may stop the spreading of unwanted hacks…
Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde
In the old days it was a weapon … this seems to be the new way of destruction … annoying, painful, unnerving …. but not as dangerous…!
Have a Great Day!
John A. Kvale CFA, CFP
Founder of J.K. Financial, Inc.
A Dallas Texas based fee only
Financial Planning Total Wealth