Each year we are kindly invited to a terrific event of publicly traded companies by our friends at Three Part Advisors.
This year the event featured over 70 companies, mostly of smaller capitalization. We enjoy going to this event as a terrific way to really get into the weeds on what is going on in the Economy as well as learn more about the companies themselves.
Chance meeting and lunch Dynex CEO
One of the favorite sessions featured the CEO and Chairman Byron Boston. Luckily, after his discussion, we sat together at the same table for lunch … extending thoughts and comments from his public discussion.
As chairman of a publicly traded Mortgage REIT (Real Estate Investment Trust) Mr. Boston had/has (rates greatly affect his company) very strong opinions on rates among other things. Of course our ears perked up when Mr. Boston gave his views and even some forecasts …
- Rates will be lower longer this cycle
- Highest rates of his lifetime (Wow- big statement) are in last 15 years
- Global growth is coming, but more fragile than many think
- Inflation will not get above 2%
- Globalization has created an irreversible connectedness between our economy and the rest of the world (We could not agree more!)
- If inflation goes over 2%, rates will go higher as well- I asked the question, but he did not think inflation would get over 2%
At lunch we had more candid hot topic conversations beyond my comfort zone of our blog.
We were VERY impressed with Mr. Boston. He gave his distinct thoughts with triggers for being wrong and right for that matter …. what is not to like!
We will code this forecast and check back again later to see how well Mr. Boston did !
Have a Great “More Rate Clarity” Day!
John A. Kvale CFA, CFP