Spring has Sprung ….
March Brings warmth to most….
March Madness and Baseball season…
March also means Tax season is here!
Not to worry we have your back
As a reminder, we started with an Audio Podcast format for those that are unable to SEE the video or just prefer to listen to the audio… this makes the review slightly longer, but more descriptive.
Last month we created a new intro and music as well…
March 2017 Video
Financial Planning Tip(s)-
Tax Tips Reminders and Savings Update
The following items can be done today and still help your 2016 taxes–
- HSA – Health Savings Account- High Deductible Pre-Tax Savings account
- SEP- Simplified Employee Pension- Souped Up IRA for Non-W-2 Income offset
- IRA- Oldie but goodie- Prefer using ONLY if deductible
Costly Tax Mistakes we are seeing
In our post late this month, we highlight items we are seeing missed, resulting in extra tax costs.
- Property Tax incorrect year – make sure you get credit in the year you pay
- General Sales Tax missing- It’s your deduction, make darn sure you get it if you itemize
- Missing Basis- An oldie but goodie, EVERYTHING has a basis- be sure one is included on your return
- Missing a SEP (AKA Simplified Employee Pension) contribution – Souped up IRA that offsets non-W-2 income- Great Tax Saver- You can do both a SEP and 401k if you have both incomes under the appropriate scenario
Let us know if you have any questions, we are in full tax review mode!
FOMC Interest Rate Increase
Another Rate Increase
March also marked a month where the FOMC (Federal Open Market Committee) headed by Janet Yellen and fellow members raised short term interest rates another .25%. Now at a rate .75%, slowly rates are beginning to normalize.
Overnight LIBOR (London Interbank Offering Rate) showing the Rate Increases clearly
Our friends at JPMorgan, think higher rates may help the economy, as too low of rates, in their opinion, muzzle the economy more than it helps.
See you at the end of April!
John A. Kvale CFA, CFP